Before the session
It is important to understand what we mean by communication. Communication is about sharing information from one person to another person or a group of people. Every type of communication includes at least one sender and a receiver. The main types of communication people use, often together, every day are:
- Verbal communication: is the spoken words people use to communicate with others.
- Non-verbal communication: refers to the tone of voice, facial expressions, and body language people use.
- Written communication: is the written words people use to communicate with others.
- Listening: refers to the active process of receiving, understanding, and interpreting verbal and nonverbal messages being communicated by other people.
- Visual communication: refers to the transmission of information and ideas using symbols and imagery. It’s very powerful, there’s an expression in English which says this: a picture speaks 1000 words.
The way we communicate depends on who we are communicating with, and its purpose.