Author: Deb Avery | Published on 1 November 2022
Question: How can you help your learners to think critically?
Answer: Teach them how to think, not what to think. Provide opportunities to solve problems, not just give answers.
Critical thinking can help learners:
- Solve problems
- Understand the links between ideas
- Decide for themselves what is true or false
- Look for multiple solutions
Critical thinking can be encouraged by:
- Asking open-ended questions (i.e. not just questions which are yes / no)
- Doing activities which get learners to think differently
- Helping learners develop their own solutions to problems
- Pausing and waiting before giving answers
How will you encourage your learners to think critically?