Author: Adrian Tennant | Published on 1 November 2023
Question: Why should teachers evaluate activities?
Answer: To make sure the materials are suitable for our learners.
Good classroom materials should:
- be at the right level
- be interesting
- be culturally appropriate
- include a variety of activities
To evaluate materials and check their suitability, we should use a checklist with a set of criteria. We should ask whether the materials:
- are easy to use
- are suitable for different learning styles
- have an attractive layout
- are well organised
- have clear aims / learning outcomes
Having a list of criteria is important because you can compare different materials using the same criteria. Your decisions will also be objective.
When will you use these criteria to evaluate materials?