Author: Deb Avery | Published on 1 July 2023
Question: I don’t teach art – why should my classroom be creative?
Answer: Creativity and imagination are vital for learning language.
There are many ways in which creativity can help learners develop language:
- Creativity allows learners to express themselves
- Creativity helps learners solve problems
- Creativity allows learners to take risks
- Creativity brings fun and excitement to the classroom
Ways in which you can encourage a more creative classroom include:
[bw picture of teacher drawing a picture on the board ]
- Model creativity yourself (e.g. do routines like taking the register in different ways.)
- Build a classroom climate that accepts everybody equally
- Build positive self-esteem (e.g. provide positive feedback)
- Use activities that have multiple solutions
- Offer learners choices (e.g. in terms of which activity they do, or how they do it)
How will you make your classroom more creative?