Question: Can you include physically disabled learners in mainstream classrooms?
Answer: Yes, but you will need to think about how your classroom is arranged.
Physical disabilities can be severe (e.g. requiring a wheelchair), or they can be minor (e.g. becoming tired when writing or being unable to sit up straight for long).
Sometimes just a few small changes to your classroom can significantly help these learners to participate.
Some strategies which can help include:
- arranging the room so that learners who need crutches or wheelchairs can move around easily
- providing a larger desk if necessary
- setting up a buddy system where a classmate helps to fetch books, takes notes, etc.
- providing extra time to complete tasks if necessary
- allowing them to enter and exit the classroom first
- being flexible.
How could you include physically disabled learners in your classroom?