Author: Deb Avery | Published on 1 April 2023
Question: Who should do the most talking in the classroom?
Answer: The learners need as much opportunity to talk as possible. If the teacher talks, there should be a good reason.
The only way that learners can improve their spoken English is to speak English! In the classroom, we need to give them as many chances as we can to do this. Teachers often speak too much, or speak in the wrong way.
- teachers talk too fast
- teachers give too many instructions at once
- teachers give unclear or complicated instructions
- teachers talk too soon after asking a question, and don’t give their learners enough thinking time.
Good teacher talk should:
- be clear
- be enthusiastic
- be friendly
- be at the level the class will understand
- include time to listen to learners
How will you use the way you talk in class effectively?