Pupils will have the opportunity to hear the sounds of the trigraphs before seeing them to help them associate the sound with the letters. They will participate actively to understand the meaning, which will be fun and engaging as well as useful. They will have opportunities to read and write and notice the spelling patterns as well as make meaningful sentences and questions that relate to their classroom environment.
During this activity pupils will:
- practise listening and hearing the sound associated with the trigraphs -air and -ere
- practise reading the trigraphs in words
- see how different spelling patterns can have the same sound to help them with their reading, writing and spelling
- understand meaning of words with pictures and realia
- read sentences to increase confidence in reading and writing.
The materials can be downloaded below in PDF format.